Rogue Insulation Traders

Rogue traders have been found to infiltrate the Hull and East Riding region claiming that insulation is faulty and must be replaced.

Homeowners need to be alert as cold-calls are coming from a business claiming to be operating nationally and told their cavity wall or loft insulation needs inspection and a representative will be sent.

Once their representative has arrived they will quickly ‘asses’ the situation and tell the homeowner that their insulation is faulty, even if it was only recently installed under council and government-backed schemes using approved installers.

In a recent case, Heat Insulation Ltd was called to a house in partnership with East Riding Council to check installed insulation. A concerned homeowner had been contacted by these rogue traders and told that their insulation was faulty however they decided to check with council before spending any money.

Luckily this homeowner decided to request a second opinion before parting with their money as after inspecting their installation we discovered that it was recently fitted by British gas under ‘The Energy Company Obligation’ scheme and was perfectly fine.


How can I find a trustworthy trade person?

  • Ask for identification, all our qualified installers carry photo ID, so you know we’ve sent them.
  • Ensure they are accredited by the relevant governing bodies:
    • CIGA (Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency
    • BBA (British Board of Agrement)
    • Green Deal Approved Installer
    • National Insulation Association
  • Asking for references allows you to be able to look at and confirm their previous work.
  • Check for reviews: Most companies now have reviews on pages such as trust pilot as well as checking their reviews and comments on social media pages.


What should you do before parting with your money

  • Check with the initial installers, they may advise you on what to do as well as coming to inspect the fittings themselves.
  • Check to see whether you’re eligible for funding like ‘The Energy Company Obligation’ as well as local funds such as ‘East Riding of Yorkshire Council Funding’ and ‘Hull Warm Zone’
  • Check with your local council to make sure that the claims are legitimate.
  • Get quotes from multiple providers.

Leave a Reply